Starting in January 2023:
Fall 2022 Course:
New and Recent Events:
- A New Manuscript:
On the Principles of Parsimony and Self-Consistency for the Emergence of Intelligence.
- A New Presentation & Roundtable Video: On Parsimony and Self-Consistency: the Origin and Nature of Intelligence.
- A New Textbook: High-Dimensional Data
Analysis with Low-Dimensional Models (or a mirror site
- A New Course EECS208: Computational
Principles for High-Dimensional Data Analysis
(with a Course Website and Lecture Slides).
- A New Workshop: Seeking Low-Dimensionality
in Deep Neural Networks (Abu Dhabi, Jan. 3-7, 2023).
- A New Tutorial:
Low-Dim Models for High-Dim Data (a five-lecture short course presented
- Recorded video on On the Principles of Parsimony and Self-Consistency:
Structured Compressive Closed-loop
Transcription, IDS HKU, Nov. 25, 2022.
- Recorded video on On Parsimony and Self-Consistency, the Origin and Nature of Intelligence
Workshop, BAAI, September 21, 2022.
- Recorded video on Closed-Loop Data Transcription
via Minimaxing Rate Reduction (with
Paper and Slides), Berkeley Neuroscience Redwood
Center, December 2, 2021.
- Recorded video on ReduNet: Deep
(Convolution) Networks from First Principles
(with Paper ), at CMSA of
Harvard University, April 16, 2021.
- Recorded video on Learning to Detect Geometric
Structures from Images, CVPR 3D Scene Understanding Workshop, June 19, 2021.
- Recorded video of An Overview of
Reinforcement Learning and Optimal Control (with Slides),
February 17, 2021.
- Keynote Speech at the International School on
Deep Learning (DeepLearn 2023 Winter), United Kingdom, January
- The Third Workshop on Seeking Low-Dimensionality
in Deep Neural Networks, MBZUAI, Abu Dhabi, Jan. 3-7, 2023.
- Keynote Speech at IEEE Fellow
Forum of the Global AI Product & Application Expo, Shuzhou, China,
- Plenary Talk at the Chinese SIAM Conference on Big Data and
AI (CSIAM-BDAI), China, TBA, 2022.
- Distinguished Lecture at CS Department, UIUC, December 14,
- Invited talk at NeurIPS workshop on Trustworthy and Socially
Responsible Machine Learning, December 9, 2022.
- Distinguished Speaker Series #1 of the Data Science Institute,
Hong Kong University, November 25, 2022.
- Plenary Talk at CMSE Data Science
Student Conference, Michigan State University, November 11,
- Invited talk at Berkeley TOPPA
(East Asian Student Organization), November 9, 2022.
- ESE Department Colloquium,
University of Pennsylvania, November 7, 2022.
- Invited Talk at TSMC Limited, November 2, 2022.
- Distinguished Seminar at ECE Department
Seminar, UC Davis, October 7th, 2022.
- Keynote Speech at the 4th International
Conference on Robotics and Computer Vision (ICRCV), Wuhan,
China, September 25-27, 2022.
- Talk and Round Table on Fundamentals of Intelligence, Beijing Academy of Artificial
Intelligence, September 21, 2022.
- Talk at Microsoft Research Alumni Saloon, September 16, 2022.
- Keynote Speech at the Forum of
Cognitive Intelligence, World Artificial Intelligence Conference,
Shanghai, China, September 2, 2022.
- AI Panel at the WLSI Annual
Meeting, Stanford, August 23, 2022.
- Keynote Talk at the annual
research symposium of Chandar Lab, MILA, Canada, August 12, 2022.
- Invited talk at Bytedance
summer camp, August 9, 2022.
- Distinguished Lecture of the IAS
of the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, August 5,
- Keynote Speech at the Hong Kong Tech Forum on Grand Challenges
in Data Science and Artificial Intelligence, Hong Kong, July 26-27,
- Invited talk at Google
Sample-Efficient Learning seminar, July 27, 2022.
- Invited talk a China
Operation Research forum, July 15, 2022.
- Summer Course at TBSI on
Computational Principles for High-Dimensional Data Analysis, June 27 - July 8, 2022.
- Visit and talk at MBZUAI, Abu
Dhabi, June 20-25, 2022.
- Invited talk at the Challenges
and Prospects of ML for the Physical Sciences Workshop in NYC,
Flatiron Institute, June 12-15, 2022.
- Keynote Speech at the 17th biennial Canadian Workshop on
Information Theory (CWIT), Ottawa, Canada, June 7, 2022.
- A Ten-Hour Short Course on
Low-Dim Models for High-Dim Data at ICASSP, Singapore, May 22-27, 2022.
- Plenary Talk at the IEEE International
Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing
(ICASSP), Singapore, May 22-27, 2022.
- Invited Talk at Baidu Research, April 29, 2022.
- Invited Talk at Facebook/Meta AI Research (FAIR/MAIR), April 25,
- MSRA CVPR panel discussion, April 22, 2022.
- Invited Talk at University of Washington, Seattle, April 8, 2022.
- Invited Talk at Washington University at St. Louis, March 23,
- Talk at BAIR Visual Computing
Workshop, Berkeley, March 21, 2022.
- Invited Talk, Department of Electrical and Computer
Engineering, University of Michigan, March 17, 2022.
- Invited Talk, joint Semiautonomous Seminar and THEORINET
Seminar, EECS Berkeley, March
- Distinguished Colloquium, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Maryland, Januarary 28, 2022.
- Berkeley Assured Autonomy Seminar (TBD, Spring 2022).
- Berkeley Learning
Theory Study Group (TBD, Spring
- Dexterous Robot
Hand Manipulation (with Haozhi Qi, Roberto Calandra, and
- Deep Networks
from the Principle of Rate Reduction (with Ryan Chan,
Yaodon Yu, Cong You, John Wrigth).
- Pursuit of
Large-Scale 3D Structures and Geometry (with Yichao Zhou,
Xili Dai, Haozhi Qi).
- UIUC/MSRA: Low-Rank Matrix Recovery
via Convex Optimization (with Wright, Lin and
Candes et. al.).
- UIUC: Face Recognition via
Sparse Representation (with Wright, Ganesh, Yang, Zhou
and Wagner et. al.).
- UIUC: Clustering and
Classification via Lossy Compression (with Wright Yang,
Mobahi, and Rao et. al.).
UIUC: Generalized Principal Component Analysis (with Huang and
©2017 Yi Ma
Last modified: Wed Nov 30 15:30:14 PST 2022