Over the past few years, several computer science PhD graduates have taken time to write about their personal experience during graduate school. Here is an incomplete list of these reflections I could find on the internet. Of course, I am definitely missing some, so let me know if yours is missing, and I will add it. The links below are organized by date.
- Lindsey Kuper - What the first half of grad school was like. (2011)
- Evan Jones - Farewell to MIT. (2011)
- Lindsey Kuper - What the second half of grad school will be like. (2012)
- Philip Guo - The Ph.D. Grind. (2012)
- Adam Marcus - The N=1 guide to grad school. (2013)
- Chris Martens - How to get a Ph.D. in computer science if you're me. (2015)
- Peter Bailis - I Loved Graduate School. (2016)
- Jean Yang - What My PhD Was Like. (2016)
Interestingly enough, the list of students skews heavily towards systems and programming language researchers. Of course, this is probably a selection bias. Having said that, it would be interesting to hear from the TCS side!