CS 289, Fall 2004
Knowledge Representation and Reasoning

Instructor Stuart Russell
727 Soda Hall, russell@cs.berkeley.edu, (510) 642 4964
Office hours Tuesday 1-3pm in 727 Soda Hall.

Lecture: MW 2.30-4.00 Location: 310 Soda
Units: 3. Suggested prerequisites: CS188 or equivalent, or permission of instructor. The course requires both mathematical ability and good programming skills.


This class will look at formal representations of knowledge and at reasoning methods that use them. Roughly speaking, the first half of the course covers logical methods for inference and decision making, while the second half covers probabilistic methods. Topics will include

In most cases we will be concerned with expressiveness, complexity, and completeness as well as implementations and applications.

What will actually happen

The class will meet twice a week; discussion will focus on the readings given in the accompanying reading list (under construction). The readings for each week will be accompanied by a set of questions designed to elicit short answers (roughly one or two pages in all). These answers are due at the beginning of the week in which the corresponding readings are to be discussed, and constitute 20% of the course grade. There will be two assignments (20% each) combining written work with simple implementations, and a final project (40%), which may be a substantial implementation effort or an analytical paper.

Textbook: the basic material for each topic is in Russell and Norvig, Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach, second edition, Prentice Hall, 2003.