Computer Security PhD Student
719 Soda Hall, UC Berkeley, 94720-1776
About MeI am a PhD candidate in the areas of network security and measurement. My advisor is Vern Paxson. I graduated from UC Berkeley with a BS in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science in Fall 2009.
Here is my CV.
- Augur: Internet-Wide Detection of Connectivity Disruptions, 38th IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy (Oakland 2017). Paul Pearce, Roya Ensafi, Frank Li, Nick Feamster, Vern Paxson [Paper] [Talk Coming Soon]
- To Catch a Ratter: Monitoring the Behavior of Amateur DarkComet RAT Operators in the Wild, 38th IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy (Oakland 2017). Brown Farinholt, Mohammad Rezaeirad, Paul Pearce, Hitesh Dharmdasani, Haikuo Yiny, Stevens Le Blond, Damon McCoy, Kirill Levchenko [Paper] [Talk Coming Soon]
- Ad Injection at Scale: Assessing Deceptive Advertisement Modifications, 36th IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy (Oakland 2015). Distinguished Practical Paper Kurt Thomas, Elie Bursztein, Chris Grier, Grant Ho, Nav Jagpal, Alexandros Kapravelos, Damon McCoy, Antonio Nappa, Vern Paxson, Paul Pearce, Niels Provos, Moheeb Abu Rajab. [Paper] [Talk]
- Characterizing Large-Scale Click Fraud in ZeroAccess, 21st ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS 2014). Paul Pearce, Vacha Dave, Chris Grier, Kirill Levchenko, Saikat Guha, Damon McCoy, Vern Paxson, Stefan Savage, Geoffrey M. Voelker. [Paper] [Talk]
- The ZeroAccess Auto-Clicking and Search-Hijacking Click Fraud Modules, Technical report, EECS Department, University of California, Berkeley, Dec 2013. Paul Pearce, Chris Grier, Vern Paxson, Vacha Dave, Damon McCoy, Goeffrey M. Voelker, and Stefan Savage. [Paper]
- AdDroid: Privilege Separation for Applications and Advertisers in Android, 7th ACM Symposium on Information, Computer and Communications Security (ASIACCS 2012). Paul Pearce, Adrienne Porter Felt, Gabriel Nunez, David Wagner. [Paper] [Talk]
- What’s Clicking What? Techniques and Innovations of Today’s Clickbots, 8th Conference on Detection of Intrusions and Malware & Vulnerability Assessment (DIMVA 2011). Brad Miller, Paul Pearce and Chris Grier, Christian Kreibich, Vern Paxson. [Paper] [Talk]
- Resource Management in the Tessellation Manycore OS, 2nd USENIX Workshop on Hot Topics in Parallelism (HotPar '10). Juan A. Colmenares, Sarah Bird, Henry Cook, Paul Pearce, David Zhu, John Shalf, Krste Asanovic, and John Kubiatowicz. [Paper]
- Abstractions for Scalable Operating Systems on Manycore Architectures, Work-In-Progress, Poster, 22nd ACM Symposium Operating Systems Principles (SOSP '09). Kevin Klues, Barret Rhoden, David (Yu) Zhu, Paul Pearce, Eric Brewer, John Kubiatowicz. [Paper]
- I've guest lectured on Internet Freedom for Vern Paxson's undergraduate security course and Malware for David Wagner's.
- Spring 2013 I was a GSI for CS161 with Vern Paxson, for which I was awarded the CS Outstanding Graduate Student Instructor Award. My evaluation results are available here.
- During Summer 2010 I was the instructor for CS61C, a sophomore level CS class here at UC Berkeley. The course website complete with lectures etc is here. You can find my student evaluation results here.
- I was a GSI also for CS61C during Summer 2009.
- From Fall 2009 through Spring 2010 I was a member of the UC Berkeley EECS Undergraduate Study Committee.
LifeI am an avid Cal Football fanatic. I've bowled since I was 9, and carry an average in the 180s (high game is 289, darn 10 pin). While an undergraduate I initiated at the Mu Chapter of Eta Kappa Nu, the national EECS honor society. I am a proud product of the California Community College system, having attended both Chaffey and Mount San Antonio colleges.
New! I'm now really into biking and aquariums.
PowerPoint source to my slides are available upon request.