Ion Stoica's Home Page
I am a Professor of
Computer Science Division at University of California,
Berkeley, and currently I am leading RISELab. I am also a co-founder of Anyscale (2019), Databricks (2013), and a co-founder of Conviva Networks (2006). Here is a short bio.
- Contact information:
- 465 Soda Hall
Computer Science Division
- University of California, Berkeley
- Berkeley, CA 94720-1776
- phone: +1 510 643-4007
- Fax: +1 510 643-1289
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Research | Teaching | Publications | Students | Bio
My area of research is cloud computing, distributed systems, and
networking. I am equally interested in designing algorithms and
systems with strong theoretical foundations, and in providing
practical implementations that are deployable in the real world.
A list of my
publications are available here.
- Some current projects include:
- Ray, a low-latency distributed execution framework for machine learning and reinforcement learning applications.
- Clipper, a low-latency, high-throughput prediction and model serving system.
- Succinct, an
efficient storage system that supports sub-string queries on compressed data.
- Apache Spark, a
cluster computing frameworks to efficiently support interactive, and
- Some previous projects:
- Apache Mesos, a cluster manager
that provides efficient resource isolation and sharing across
cluster computing frameworks, such as Hadoop, MPI and Hypertable.
- Alluxio (formerly known as Tachyon), a
an in-memory distributed storage for big data processing.
- OCALA, an overlay architecture for deploying legacy applications over new Internet architecture.
- Internet Indirection Infrastructure (i3), an network architecture that uses a rendezvous-based communication abstraction to support a wide variety of communication abstractions, including multicast, anycast and mobility.
- Chord, and efficient lookup protocol for peer-to-peer networks.
- Older projects (during my graduate studies, at CMU):
- Dynamic Packet State (DPS), a scalable QoS
and resource management architecture for the Internet. The main idea
of DPS is to have packets carry per-flow state, instead of
maintaining the state at routers. One instantiation of DPS is CSFQ (Core-Stateless Fair Queueing), a protocol
that provides fair sharing without requiring routers to maintain any
Fair Service Curve (HFSC), an hierarchical scheduling algorithm
that decouples the bandwidth and delay allocations.
Current PhD students:, Romil Bhardwaj, Ameer Haj-Ali (w/ Krste Asanovic), Paras Jian (w/ Joey Gonzalez), Sukrit Kalra, Eric Liang, Zhuohan Li, Gur-Eyal Sela (w/ Joey Gonzalez), Stephanie Wang, Wenting Zheng (w/ Raluca Ada Popa), Guanhua Wang, Zongheng Yang
- CS 162 [10-12]
- EE 122 [01-05]
- CS 262a 
- CS 268 [01-05] 
- CS 294 
- CS 194 
Current Postdocs: Ionel Gog, Kirthevasan Kandasamy, Hong Zhang, Danyang Zhuo
Past PhD students:
- Anand Iyer (2019, Microsoft Research)
- Anurage Khandelwal (2019, Assistant Professor at Yale University)
- Philipp Moritz (2019, w/ Michael Jordan, Anyscale, co-founder)
- Ankur Dave (2018, Databricks)
- Qifan Pu (2018, Google)
- Haoyuan Li (2018, Alluxio, co-founder)
- Shivaram Venkataraman (2016, w/ Michael Franklin, Assistant Professor at University of Wisconsin),
- Mosharaf Chowdhury (2015, Assistant Professor at University of Michigan)
- Peter Bailis (2015, w/ Ali Ghodsi and Joe Hellerstein, Assistant Professor at Stanford University)
- Ganesh Ananthanarayanan (2014, Microsoft Research, Redmond)
- Sameer Agarwal (2014, Databricks)
- Matei Zaharia (2013, w/ Scott Shenker, Assistant Professor at Stanford University).
- Lucian Popa (2011, Databricks)
- Gautam Altekar (2011, Menlo Security, co-founder)
- Rodrigo Fonseca (2009, Assistant Professor at Brown University)
- Brighten Godfrey (2009, Associate Professor at UIUC)
- Dilip Joseph (2009, Facebook)
- Jayanth Kannan (2008, Google)
- Ryan Huebsch (2008, w/ Joe Hellerstein, Google)
- Matthew Caesar (2007, w/ Randy Katz, Associate Professor at UIUC)
- Karthik Lakshminarayanan (2007, Google)
- Ananth Rajagopala-Rao (2007, Vudu Networks)
- Boon Thau Loo (2006, w/ Joe Hellerstein, Associate Professor at University of Pennsylvania)
- Dennis Geels (2006, Google Inc.)
- Lakshminarayanan Subramanian, (2005, w/ Randy Katz and Scott Shenker, Professor at New York University)
- Shelley Zhuang (2005, w/ Randy Katz , Eleven Two Capital, co-founder)
- Sylvia Ratnasamy (2002, w/ Scott Shenker, Associate Professor at UC Berkeley)
Past MS students: Tathagata Das (Databricks), Andrew Wang (Cloudera), Patrick Wendell (Databricks, co-founder)
- Alexey Tumanov (2016-2019, Assistant Professor at Georgia Institute of Technology)
- Roy Fox (2017-2019, Assistant Professor at University of California, Irvine)
- Rashmi K. Vinayak (2015-2017, Assistant Professor at CMU)
- Xin Jin (2016-2017, Assistant Professor at John Hopkins University)
- Rachit Agarwal (2013-2016, Assistant Professor at Cornell University)
- Kai Zeng (2014-2015, Microsoft Research)
- Adam Oliner (2011-2014, Slack)
- Minlan Yu (2011-2012, Assistant Professor at Harvard University)
PhD students on-leave: Benjamin Hindman (Mesosphere, co-founder)