Email: aramdas [at] berkeley _._ edu
- Triathlons --- I completed a full Ironman 140.6 (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run) in Louisville, Kentucky (August 25, 2013). I also completed a half Ironman (Grafham, UK, Summer '12) and several Olympic distance triathlons (Marlow, Pittsburgh, Tahoe).
- Marathons --- I've run a few marathons (Pittsburgh thrice, Columbus) and many half-marathons (Chicago, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Wales, Birmingham, Berkeley) and many 15mi/20mi/30K races around Pittsburgh (Spring Thaw, Just a Short Run, Marshall Mangler).
- Biking --- I recently completed the fantastic 2016 AIDS LifeCycle ride, a 550 mile ride from SF to LA to raise money for AIDS and LGBT causes. Another memorable ride was the MS-150, a 150-mile weekend bike ride through the hills and farms of central Pennsylvania to raise money for Multiple Sclerosis patients. I also did the amazing 500km ride from Pittsburgh to Washington DC, which is a fully off-road trail ride through parks and forests and rivers and canals (Great Allegheny Passage, Chesapeake-Ohio Canal).
- Land --- I completed a fantastic 26-day Basic Mountaineering Course in the Himalayas (July 1-26, 2006), introducing us to climbing, jumaring, knots, rappelling, river-crossing, snowcraft, icecraft, safety, rescue, survival, etc where we reached a maximum height of 18,200 feet. I also finished a backpacking school in 2013 with the Explorer's Club of Pittsburgh (ECP) that covered clothing, cooking, weather, first aid, planning, leading, etc and some wonderful overnight hikes. The ECP's great rock-climbing school was also very memorable, as it taught us a lot about the theory and safe practice of outdoor top-roping, using high quality gear to climb spectacular routes, peaking with our ascent of the iconic Seneca Rocks. I completed a certified Wilderness First Aid course in 2012. I also enjoy indoor bouldering, and have done orienteering in the past.
- Air --- I completed an Advanced Free Fall (part A) skydiving course that ended with my first solo jump and landing. I've also been paragliding and parasailing, but I'd like to do a course in those too.
- Water --- I completed the PADI open water certification for scuba diving, and have had the pleasure of diving around the world (France, Iceland, Singapore, Florida, etc).
- Team - Cricket was my main obsession growing up - I played for the Oman U-13 team in the Gulf Cup (runners-up, Kuwait, 2002) and the Oman U-15 team in the Asia Cup (5th out of 14, UAE, 2004). I also played for the IIT Bombay team in three Inter-IIT tournaments (silver medallists, 2005) and around Bombay and the CMU team in a US-wide tournament. I used to play for my high school teams as well, in Oman and India. In IITB, I also played and won several sports for my hostel including basketball, water polo, football, hockey, etc and won several hostel Sports Colors and passing out Sports Color for these.
- Individual - In IITB, I also represented my hostel's winning teams in sports like badminton and table tennis. At CMU, I picked up squash, racketball and tennis.
- International - I received the Bronze and Silver award in the International Award for Young People (Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme). I also represented India at a 10-day cultural exchange program in Singapore (2004) and also attended a two-week Round Square Conference.
- Intercollegiate - I represented IITB at several inter-collegiate speaking and literary competitions and won events like like Just-A-Minute (unbeaten last two years), courtroom trials, impromptus, quizzes, potpourris, wordgames, etc and won an IITB Instute Cultural Citation (given to about 5 of 1000+ graduating UGs/PGs) for the 30+ competitions I had won.
- Interhostel - I represented my hostel in the Performing Arts Festival all four years (dance, background music, drama and voiceover, acting). I also took part in several inter-hostel competitions like dance, street play, drama, etc. I also represented my hostel in all literary and debating competitions, and got a hostel Cultural Citation for helping win the Literary Cup, and the overall interhostel Cultural Trophy.