I am a postdoctoral researcher at UC Berkeley working with Umesh Vazirani. I completed my Ph.D. in 2017 in the Theory of Computation Group at MIT, where I was fortunate to be advised by Scott Aaronson. My interests include quantum computation, computational complexity theory, and connections with physics.
Prior to MIT, I completed Part III at Cambridge as well as a Master's under the supervision of Anuj Dawar on a Marshall Scholarship. Prior to that, I completed my undergraduate degree at Yale in Computer Science/Mathematics and Physics.
- Computational pseudorandomness, the wormhole growth paradox, and constraints on the AdS/CFT duality. With Bill Fefferman and Umesh Vazirani (2019). [arXiv]
- Closing gaps of a quantum advantage with short-time Hamiltonian dynamics. With Jonas Haferkamp, Dominik Hangleiter, Bill Fefferman, Jens Eisert, and Juani Bermejo-Vega (2019). [arXiv]
- On the Complexity and Verification of Quantum Random Circuit Sampling. With Bill Fefferman, Chinmay Nirkhe, and Umesh Vazirani. Nature Physics 15:159-163 (2019). Abstract in Proc. ITCS'2019. Presented as a contributed talk at QIP 2019. [arXiv, Nature physics] Note: a previous version of this paper appeared under the title "Quantum Supremacy and the Complexity of Random Circuit Sampling".
- Classical Lower Bounds from Quantum Upper Bounds. With Shalev Ben-David, Robin Kothari and Ankit Garg. In Proc. FOCS'18. Presented as a contributed talk at QIP 2018. Presented as an invited talk at TQC 2018. [arXiv, FOCS, Video of QIP talk]
- Trading Inverses for an Irrep in the Solovay-Kitaev Theorem. With Maris Ozols. In Proc. TQC'18. (2018) [arXiv, TQC]
- Complexity Classification of Conjugated Clifford Circuits. With Joseph Fitzismons and Dax Koh. In Proc. CCC'18 (2018) [arXiv, CCC] Note: a previous version of this paper appeared under the title "Quantum Advantage from Conjugated Clifford Circuits".
- The Computational Complexity of Ball Permutations. With Scott Aaronson, Greg Kuperberg, and Saeed Mehraban. In Proc. STOC 2017. [arXiv, STOC]
- On the Power of Statistical Zero Knowledge. With Lijie Chen, Dhiraj Holden, Justin Thaler and Prashant Nalini Vasudevan. In Proc. FOCS 2017. To appear in SICOMP Special Issue for FOCS'17. [ECCC, arXiv, FOCS] Note: a previous version of this paper appeared under the title "On SZK and PP".
- Rescuing Complementarity With Little Drama. With Ning Bao, Aidan Chatwin-Davies, Jason Pollack and Henry Yuen. Journal of High Energy Physics (JHEP) 2016:26 (2016). [arXiv, JHEP]
- On the complexity of probabilistic trials for hidden satisfiability problems. With Itai Arad, Daniel Grier, Miklos Santha, Aarthi Sundaram
and Shengyu Zhang. In Proc. MFCS '16. [arXiv, MFCS, PDF]
- Complexity classification of two-qubit commuting hamiltonians. With Laura Mančinska and Xue Zhang. In Proc. CCC '16. Presented as a contributed talk at QIP 2016. [arXiv, CCC, ECCC, PDF, Video of QIP Talk]
- Grover search and the no-signaling principle. With Ning Bao and Stephen Jordan. Physical Review Letters 117, 120501 (2016) [PRL, arXiv]
- The space "just above" BQP. With Scott Aaronson, Joseph Fitzsimons and Mitchell Lee. In Proc. ITCS '16. [arXiv, ITCS, ECCC, PDF]
- Generation of Universal Linear Optics by Any Beamsplitter. With Scott Aaronson. Physical Review A 89, 062316 (2014). Editor's suggestion. Presented as a contributed talk at QIP 2015. [PRA, arXiv, ECCC, PDF, Video of QIP Talk]
- Psi-Epistemic Theories: The Role of Symmetry. With Scott Aaronson, Lynn Chua and George Lowther. Physical Review A 88, 032111 (2013). Editor's suggestion. [PRA, arXiv]
- On Tractable Parameterizations of Graph Isomorphism. With Anuj Dawar and Eryk Kopczyński. In D.M. Thilikos and G.J. Woeginger (Eds.):
IPEC 2012, LNCS 7535, pp. 218-230, Springer 2012. [PDF*, LNCS].
- Caching and Interpolated Likelihoods: Accelerating Cosmological Monte Carlo Markov Chains. With Richard Easther and Katherine Rosenfeld. Journal of Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics 2011. [arXiv, JCAP]
- Establishing Quantum Advantage. XRDS: Crossroads, The ACM Magazine for Students. Volume 23 Issue 1, Fall 2016, Pages 40-44 (2016) [XRDS]
CV (last updated 10-2019): PDF
617 Soda Hall
Berkeley, CA 94709
electronic mail: firstname at csail dot mit dot edu
* Original publication by Springer