Human Compatible: AI and the Problem of Control
Available in hardcover, Kindle, and audiobook forms.
Selected reviewer comments
- Worth Reading "Human Compatible" by Stuart Russell (he's great!) about future AI risks and solutions.
Elon Musk, October 8, 2019.
- I just finished Stuart Russell'ss marvelous book on AI safety, Human Compatible, and I can't recommend it highly enough!.
Tim O'Reilly, November 10, 2019.
- "This is the most important book I have read in quite some time. It lucidly explains how the coming age of artificial super-intelligence threatens human control. Crucially, it also introduces a novel solution and a reason for hope."
Daniel Kahneman, winner of the Nobel Prize and author of Thinking, Fast and Slow.
- "A must-read: this intellectual tour-de-force by one of AI's true pioneers not only explains the risks of ever more powerful artificial intelligence in a captivating and persuasive way, but also proposes a concrete and promising solution."
Max Tegmark, author of Life 3.0.
- "Human Compatible made me a convert to Russell's concerns with our ability to control our upcoming creation -- super-intelligent machines. Unlike outside alarmists and futurists, Russell is a leading authority on AI. His new book will educate the public about AI more than any book I can think of, and is a delightful and uplifting read."
Judea Pearl, Turing Award-winner and author of The Book of Why.
- "This beautifully written book addresses a fundamental challenge for humanity: increasingly intelligent machines that do what we ask but not what we really intend. Essential reading if you care about our future."
Yoshua Bengio, winner of the 2019 Turing Award and co-author of Deep Learning.
- "Stuart Russell has long been the most sensible voice in computer science on the topic of AI risk. And he has now written the book we've all been waiting for -- a brilliant and utterly accessible guide to what will be either the best or worst technological development in human history."
Sam Harris, author of Waking Up and host of the Making Sense podcast
Reviews and interviews
- Daily Telegraph: Meet the man with the 'off-switch' for when the robots come for us, by Harry de Quetteville, October 1, 2019.
- Sunday Times Magazine, The end of humanity: will artificial intelligence free us, us enslave or exterminate us?, interview by Danny Fortson, October 27, 2019.
- Sunday Times: Human Compatible by Stuart review Russell an AI expert's chilling warning, by James McConnachie, October 6, 2019.
- New York Times: How to Stop Superhuman A.I. Before It Stops Us (adapted excerpt), October 8, 2019.
- The Economist: The promise and peril of AI, interview by Kenneth Cukier, October 9, 2019.
- Financial Times: How to prevent robots cooking the cat, review by John Thornhill, October 14, 2019.
- BBC Radio 4 Today Programme: filmed interview, October 7, 2019.
- Financial Times: Human Compatible - Can we keep control over a superintelligence?, review by Richard Waters, October 18, 2019.
- Guardian Science Weekly: Stuart Russell on why now is the time to start thinking about superintelligent AI, podcast interview by Ian Sample, October 18, 2019.
- Financial Times: Stuart Russell on losing control of AI, Techtonic podcast interview by John Thornhill, October 20, 2019.
- BBC World Service TV: Is it fanciful to imagine the machines taking over?, HARDTalk interview with Stephen Sackur, October 13, 2019.
- The Guardian: AI and our future, review by Ian Sample, October 24, 2019.
- The Spectator, Could AI enslave humanity before it destroys it entirely?, review by Steven Poole, October 26, 2019.
- Vox, AI could be a disaster for humanity. A top computer scientist thinks he has the solution, interview by Kelsey Piper, October 26, 2019.
- California Magazine, Warning! AI Is Heading for a Cliff, interview by Leah Worthington, October 1, 2019.
- I-CIO, Why taking charge of an AI future is now an imperative for humankind, interview by James Lawrence, October, 2019.