:: about me ::
Pei-Yu (Peggy) Chi is a Research Scientist at Google. She received her PhD in Computer Science from UC Berkeley, where she worked with Bjoern Hartmann. Peggy develops interactive systems that support users' creativity and learning activities. Her research has received a Best Paper Award at ACM CHI, a Google PhD Fellowship in Human-Computer Interaction, a Berkeley Fellowship for Graduate Study, and a MIT Media Lab Fellowship with ITRI.
Peggy earned her M.S. in Media Arts and Sciences in 2010 from the MIT Media Lab, where she was awarded as a lab fellow and worked with Henry Lieberman at the Software Agents Group. She also holds a M.S. in Computer Science and a B.B.A. in Information Management from National Taiwan University, where she worked with Hao-hua Chu at the UbiComp Lab.
Curriculum Vitae: [pdf] (September 2016)
University of California, Berkeley, CA, US
Ph.D. in Computer Science, EECS
- Supported by the Google PhD Fellowship (2014-2016)
- Received the Berkeley Fellowship for Graduate Study (2011-2013)
- Advisor: Professor Bjoern Hartmann
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, MA, US
S.M. in Media Arts and Sciences, MIT Media Lab
- Advisor: Research Scientist Henry Lieberman
- RA at the Software Agents Group
- Received the ITRI Fellowship
National Taiwan University, Taiwan
M.S. in Computer Science
B.B.A. in Information Management
- Advisor: Professor Hao-hua Chu
- RA at the Ubicomp Lab
- Received the Phi Tau Phi Award and Garmin Scholarship
|2016||ACM CHI2016 Best Paper Award|
|2014-2016||The Google PhD Fellowship in Human-Computer Interaction, USA|
|2011-2013||The Berkeley Fellowship for Graduate Study, UC Berkeley|
|2012||Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship Finalist, USA|
|2009-2010||ITRI Fellowship, MIT Media Lab [link][pdf]|
|2009, 2010||Conference Grant, Ministry of Education, Taiwan|
|2008||Phi Tau Phi Award, Member of the Phi Tau Phi Scholastic Honor Society, Taiwan|
|2008||Conference Grant, Foundation for the Advancement of Outstanding Scholarship, Taiwan|
|2008||Third prize of Paper Award, The Cooperative Workshop of CyberLink and CML on Communications and Multimedia, Taiwan|
|2007||Garmin Scholarship, Taiwan|
|2007, 2008||1st place, Graduate Institute of Networking and Multimedia, National Taiwan University, Taiwan|
|2007||People's Choice Award, ACM CHI2007 Work-in-Progress Paper, San Jose, CA|
|2007||2nd place, ImagineCup 2007 Software Design Competition, Microsoft Taiwan|
|2006||Excellent Work Award, The 1st Acer Long-term Smile Contest, Taiwan|
Presidential Award, National Taiwan University, Taiwan
GPA in the top 5% of the students in Dept. of Information Management, 2004 Fall semester
- My Chinese name: 紀佩妤, read as. Considering it's not easy to read it even in Mandarin, my parents gave me a nickname "Peggy" when I was born, which becomes a more well-known name to find me.
- I love traveling a lot [see my photograph collection].
- Cooking + enjoying tasty food plays an important part of my everyday life.
- I play piano from age 3 and violin from 9, with quite much performance experience. I also joined an orchestra during 5-6th grades and senior high. After college, occasionally I play in my leisure time.
- I was filmed as one of the main characters in a TV advertisement, and was a little runway model at age 7-8.
- I dance - ballet when I was a little girl, and pop dance (hip-hop, house, jazz, etc.) when I was an undergrad.
- Very luckily, I haven't "suffered" from any entrance exams in Taiwan (instead, I entered high school through Math&Science test and applied to university and grad school afterwards). I believe it’s my passion on academic interests that keeps me moving forward.